Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Line break after paragraph
Hi there, I've been using Freda for a while now and I'm ever so happy with it's usefulness and customizabilty.

However, I can't seem to figure something out:   it seems that freda removes the blank line after a paragraph, even though I set the ''remove blank lines'' option to ''no''.   I tried some other options like ''force indent'', but in the book series I'm reading (which uses a lot of paragraphs) I see virtually no difference between the paragraph indent and some of the book's own indentations.

On https://www.turnipsoft.co.uk/freda/windows10/index.htm I see that there is supposed to be a layout option called:

''Line break after para If set, a line break will be added after every after paragraph.''

but unfortunately, it no longer appears to be options list.

Is there another way to once again enable this option or different way to create the same effect (like making the indentations really big); I truly hope so, because this way I can be a few lines into a next paragraph before I realise the book has switched character / perspective.

Hope you can help Smile
(01-30-2022, 07:48 PM)Floris Wrote: Hi there, I've been using Freda for a while now and I'm ever so happy with it's usefulness and customizabilty.

However, I can't seem to figure something out:   it seems that freda removes the blank line after a paragraph, even though I set the ''remove blank lines'' option to ''no''.   I tried some other options like ''force indent'', but in the book series I'm reading (which uses a lot of paragraphs) I see virtually no difference between the paragraph indent and some of the book's own indentations.

On https://www.turnipsoft.co.uk/freda/windows10/index.htm I see that there is supposed to be a layout option called:

''Line break after para If set, a line break will be added after every after paragraph.''

but unfortunately, it no longer appears to be options list.

Is there another way to once again enable this option or different way to create the same effect (like making the indentations really big); I truly hope so, because this way I can be a few lines into a next paragraph before I realise the book has switched character / perspective.

Hope you can help Smile

Sorry about the confusion with this option.  I think it's still there on the settings screen (between 'force indent' and 'remove blank lines').  But its behaviour is now rather messed up.  The problem is that I've recently added the 'advanced rendering' features to the app, which mean that layout instructions are now taken from the book file (EPUB books use HTML and CSS code to define the layout they want).

So the right thing to do with all the layout settings (like 'force indent' and 'line break after para') which at the moment have 'yes/no' values would be to replace them with three-valued settings, 'yes', 'no', and 'do whatever the epub file says'.  That will come in the next major release of the app, but it that won't happen soon.

For now though, you can try this: scroll down to the very bottom of the settings list, and (in the 'advanced rendering' group of settings) set 'book style overrides Freda margin settings' to 'no'.  Once you've done that, you should find that the 'line break after para' setting works more consistently.
Hey Jim, thanks for your answer, but I'm afraid the option ''line break after para'' is actually not in the list (I've added a screenshot).

I'm pretty sure I have the latest version.  How could this be?
(01-31-2022, 09:13 PM)Floris Wrote: Hey Jim, thanks for your answer, but I'm afraid the option ''line break after para'' is actually not in the list (I've added a screenshot).

I'm pretty sure I have the latest version.  How could this be?

Thank you for attaching the screenshot.  It looks like you've opened the 'frequently used' group of settings.  I'm not entirely sure why the 'line break after para' setting is not showing up as available for adding to the 'frequently used' list (I'll look into it and issue a fix in due course).  But in the meantime, you can still access the setting - you just need to scroll down the settings window: it's in the group of settings under the heading 'layout'. 
I hope that helps.
Ah,  scrolling down..  my only weakness  ; )        Thanks, I found it.   Unfortunately: much like the ''remove blank lines'' option, ''line break after para'' doesn't have any effect.  Sad   Still the only thing that seems to be able to indicate a new paragraph for these epubs is the ''force indent'' option.

So back to my first post:   is there any way to make that indent bigger?   Here are some screenshots to show how subtle it is right now compared to other indents the book already has.

No indent:

https://ibb.co/n7kShqh

Indent:

https://ibb.co/C8Qf5rk
(02-02-2022, 06:20 PM)Floris Wrote: Ah,  scrolling down..  my only weakness  ; )        Thanks, I found it.   Unfortunately: much like the ''remove blank lines'' option, ''line break after para'' doesn't have any effect.  Sad   Still the only thing that seems to be able to indicate a new paragraph for these epubs is the ''force indent'' option.

So back to my first post:   is there any way to make that indent bigger?   Here are some screenshots to show how subtle it is right now compared to other indents the book already has.

No indent:

https://ibb.co/n7kShqh

Indent:

https://ibb.co/C8Qf5rk
Did you try adjusting the advanced rendering settings?  Are you still seeing the same behaviour after (in the 'advanced rendering' group of settings) setting 'book style overrides Freda margin settings' to 'no'.  Once you've done that, you should find that the 'line break after para' setting works more consistently.
Hey Jim, I tried it but unfortunatly, no success.   Although I do now know that originally characters' thoughts are written in italics; which clarifies a lot!

Still no line breaks though.
(02-03-2022, 02:22 PM)Floris Wrote: Hey Jim, I tried it but unfortunatly, no success.   Although I do now know that originally characters' thoughts are written in italics; which clarifies a lot!

Hmm - that's odd.  Could you email the book over to me; it seems there must be something a bit odd in the styles it is using.  I'm at jim@turnipsoft.co.uk
(02-06-2022, 01:14 PM)jim_chapman Wrote:
(02-03-2022, 02:22 PM)Floris Wrote: Hey Jim, I tried it but unfortunatly, no success.   Although I do now know that originally characters' thoughts are written in italics; which clarifies a lot!

Hmm - that's odd.  Could you email the book over to me; it seems there must be something a bit odd in the styles it is using.  I'm at jim@turnipsoft.co.uk
Will do!