Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
freda's 'list file' feature: more versatile please.
Music 
I would like an option to freda's 'list view' to use, look, and act like Windows File Explorer (specifically the 'details' view of File Explorer), for two reasons. Firstly , though the current list view works very nicely and looks good displaying the ebook's cover artwork, freda's list view (for numerous books) takes a long while to scroll through. Secondly (for numerous books) it takes ages to select and then delete ebooks from freda's 'list view'. Without this feature, I have to keep deleting the few books I keep in freda's 'list view' in order to more easily purge a larger accumulation of ebooks later on.

Thank you for the freada ebook reader. It is  lightweight (low program disc space), fast, efficient, great viewing asthetics, and user friendly. Reading with freda, is better for me than Thorium,Adobe Digital Editions, or calibre E-book reader. The freda icon is nicer too. I looks like a green background musical score with the white forte symbol on top.     [Image: rainbow.png]  ƒ  [Image: music.png]

Life is a river, changing at the blink of an eye. Wink
(06-26-2020, 12:20 AM)namitutonka Wrote: I would like an option to freda's 'list view' to use, look, and act like Windows File Explorer (specifically the 'details' view of File Explorer), for two reasons. Firstly , though the current list view works very nicely and looks good displaying the ebook's cover artwork, freda's list view (for numerous books) takes a long while to scroll through. Secondly (for numerous books) it takes ages to select and then delete ebooks from freda's 'list view'. Without this feature, I have to keep deleting the few books I keep in freda's 'list view' in order to more easily purge a larger accumulation of ebooks later on.

Thank you for the freada ebook reader. It is  lightweight (low program disc space), fast, efficient, great viewing asthetics, and user friendly. Reading with freda, is better for me than Thorium,Adobe Digital Editions, or calibre E-book reader. The freda icon is nicer too. I looks like a green background musical score with the white forte symbol on top.     [Image: rainbow.png]  ƒ  [Image: music.png]

Life is a river, changing at the blink of an eye. Wink

Thank you for your suggestion.  I do continue to think about Freda's bookshelf screen, and just how many capabilities I should build into it.  The basic problem is that, because it's a Windows 'Universal Platform' app (and also a Google Play app)  is not actually allowed to operate as a file manager - which is to say, it isn't permitted to manage files in one of your regular personal folders; instead, all the books that Freda has in its library must be copied to a special semi-hidden folder that belongs only to Freda.

That means that Freda will always be a bad choice for managing a big library of books, because it wastes space, by always keeping a duplicate of every book you load into it.  Other apps (Calibre is the obvious example) aren't 'Universal Platform' apps, so they don't have that disadvantage - and to be honest, if you want to manage a big library of books, I would recommend you use Calibre to do it.  Freda can work well alongside Calibre (you use Calibre to manage the library, and Freda to actually read the books).

That's why the Freda bookshelf is really designed to handle only small-ish collections of books (it actually will not keep more than 1,000 books in any case). 

That said, you may be able to manage your collection by using the 'tag' and 'filter' features of Freda.  There is some information here about how to do that here: http://www.turnipsoft.com/forums/showthr...p?tid=1703 You might, for example, create a tag 'unread', and use that to tag the books you haven't read yet, and then you can filter the bookshelf to show only those books.  You can also delete multiple books at a time.  Suppose, for instance, you decided to delete all the books that didn't have that 'unread' tag.  You'd do this:
  1. On the bookshelf, select the 'filter' icon and choose 'tags exclude'->'unread'.  Now you see a list of all books not tagged 'unread'.
  2. Next tap the 'multi-select' icon
  3. Next tap the 'select all' icon
  4. Now right-click/hold on one book; a menu will pop up: choose 'delete'.

I hope that helps - do post again, or email me, if you have further thoughts on this (or any other) point.