Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can't import library
Hi, while initially downloading a collection of epub books from a folder, for me Freda always returns a “failed to download” error whether the source is a local folder or a network folder.

This is on Windows 10 tablet. Also tested on Windows 10 desktop, with same results.

A few books seem to get through initially then after maybe anything up to 20 or so are downloaded, a ‘download failed’ message is generated for an arbitrary book in the queue (after a long wait at that book), at which point the whole download process stops.

In Windows Explorer I can manually browse to and open that same book, and accessed this way, Freda opens it fine, and it also gets added to the Freda library – suggesting neither the file nor the path to it are the problem.

I can see that once that initially failed book has been manually opened from the source, the next one in the download list then automatically attempts to download, but always then it too generates a ‘download failed’ error, and the process stalls again.

There is also no way I can seem to clear all the remaining ‘failed to download’ books from the bookshelf, nor elegantly restart the queue once a failure has occurred.

The only way to attempt to restart the queue is to start it again from scratch, by adding the same folder again as a source.
The result when I try this is that the already loaded books are skipped, until the same arbitrary 'failed to download' book as last time is struck - so no progress is made - even though the book file/path themselves are always fine as noted.

Restarting the PC does not help.

While adding books individually/ one by one looks like it might work eventually, this is not a practical option for hundreds of books.

A possibly related issue is that, even though my OneDrive credentials are accepted, and there is plenty of free space, and I can access OneDrive in other ways,  from any PC Freda always reports ‘Bookshelf Synchronization:Cannot Connect to OneDrive’ (I still get the  'failed to download' issue even when OneDrive is not in use, so am guessing these OneDrive connection failures are not the cause of that issue - just a possibly related symptom)

Are these known bugs?

What are the best solutions?
(05-13-2020, 10:33 AM)ArchPrime Wrote: Hi, while initially downloading a collection of epub books from a folder, for me Freda always returns a “failed to download” error whether the source is a local folder or a network folder.

This is on Windows 10 tablet. Also tested on Windows 10 desktop, with same results.

A few books seem to get through initially then after maybe anything up to 20 or so are downloaded, a ‘download failed’ message is generated for an arbitrary book in the queue (after a long wait at that book), at which point the whole download process stops.

In Windows Explorer I can manually browse to and open that same book, and accessed this way, Freda opens it fine, and it also gets added to the Freda library – suggesting neither the file nor the path to it are the problem.

I can see that once that initially failed book has been manually opened from the source, the next one in the download list then automatically attempts to download, but always then it too generates a ‘download failed’ error, and the process stalls again.

There is also no way I can seem to clear all the remaining ‘failed to download’ books from the bookshelf, nor elegantly restart the queue once a failure has occurred.

The only way to attempt to restart the queue is to start it again from scratch, by adding the same folder again as a source.
The result when I try this is that the already loaded books are skipped, until the same arbitrary 'failed to download' book as last time is struck - so no progress is made - even though the book file/path themselves are always fine as noted.

Restarting the PC does not help.

While adding books individually/ one by one looks like it might work eventually, this is not a practical option for hundreds of books.

A possibly related issue is that, even though my OneDrive credentials are accepted, and there is plenty of free space, and I can access OneDrive in other ways,  from any PC Freda always reports ‘Bookshelf Synchronization:Cannot Connect to OneDrive’ (I still get the  'failed to download' issue even when OneDrive is not in use, so am guessing these OneDrive connection failures are not the cause of that issue - just a possibly related symptom)

Are these known bugs?

What are the best solutions?

Hi Paul,
Thank you for getting in touch about these issues with Freda.  As you have seen, Freda is not very reliable at downloading a large number of books at a time - which reflects the fact that it was not, originally, developed as an app for managing a library of books.  And still, my main focus is on book reading functionality, rather than library management.  It does mean that, when downloading more than 50 books at a time, Freda is prone to encounter errors.
I do plan some effort to improve this, but it's complicated. For the time being, the best answer is simply to limit the number of books you download at one time.  I can understand that this might not be convenient - in which case, you might find it better to use a separate library-management program alongside Freda.  I can recommend Calibre - and if you want to install Calibre on your tablet, but use Freda (rather than Calibre's rather awkward built-in book reader) for actually reading the books, there are instructions here: http://www.turnipsoft.com/forums/showthr...p?tid=1727
As for the problem you're seeing with OneDrive synchronisation of the bookshelf, that's also a bit of a mystery.  Unfortunately, the log file that you attached did not contain any examples of that error - so could you possibly start Freda again, wait for that error message to appear, and then save and send the log file then.
Thank you for your help.
Regards,
Jim
Hi Jim
With a bit more testing, I found the Android version did not have the same issue with errors, even with hundreds of books it did not skip a beat.

I also discovered the OneDrive connection issue applies (on either Windows or Android device) to my 'work or school account', but not to my 'personal account' - possibly the security is different?

This suggests a workaround might be to use the Android version to process a folder of books, sync to OneDrive personal account, then synchronise from OneDrive personal account to Freda on Windows.

Currently uploading to OneDrive from completed Android version library - which will take several hours by the look of it.  Will try syncing from there to PC in the morning and report results here.

A downside with using the Android version to set up library in first instance is that the Freda 'select folder' dialog  does not see the removable SD card (even though other apps in Android do see it) - so this process will be constrained by the available free space remaining on the built in memory (which is unfortunate, since this is what typically fills up first) .

** Update ** - Confirming the above strategy worked - even though Freda has a problem with importing books from a local folder under windows , it seems able to synchronise in hundreds of books from OneDrive with no problem.