Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A highlight searchable list or a bookmark/annotation whose field autofills from selec
Hi, I just downloaded Freda, and so far I am liking it. But I am reading a medical book for a quite weakened person, highlighting or excerpting if you will,the important passages for her to read later. 
It would be great to have the chance to select a part of text, then when highlighting it, auto create an entry allowing to directly navigate between highlights while still keeping the highlighted bit in the context of the page. A kind of "navigable index of highlights" if you will.

I understand that I can do the highlighting then create a bookmark and copy/paste the text in the provided text box, but it is quite contrived and lenghty.

would this be a possible option to be implemented? 

Thanks
(11-18-2020, 08:57 PM)massib Wrote: Hi, I just downloaded Freda, and so far I am liking it. But I am reading a medical book for a quite weakened person, highlighting or excerpting if you will,the important passages for her to read later. 
It would be great to have the chance to select a part of text, then when highlighting it, auto create an entry allowing to directly navigate between highlights while still keeping the highlighted bit in the context of the page. A kind of "navigable index of highlights" if you will.

I understand that I can do the highlighting then create a bookmark and copy/paste the text in the provided text box, but it is quite contrived and lenghty.

Thanks

You're right - as it stands, the Freda 'bookmark' feature doesn't work smoothly if you're aiming to use it for excerpting.  I will take a look at it, and see if I can make it work more like the navigable index of highlights that you mention.  It may take a little while to get right, though.
(11-20-2020, 07:36 AM)jim_chapman Wrote:
(11-18-2020, 08:57 PM)massib Wrote: Hi, I just downloaded Freda, and so far I am liking it. But I am reading a medical book for a quite weakened person, highlighting or excerpting if you will,the important passages for her to read later. 

Thanks

You're right - as it stands, the Freda 'bookmark' feature doesn't work smoothly if you're aiming to use it for excerpting.  I will take a look at it, and see if I can make it work more like the navigable index of highlights that you mention.  It may take a little while to get right, though.

Hi Jim, thanks for your quick answer. I am happy to provide feedback during the iterations. Yesterday, I noticed that the "quote" functionality in ReadEra for android does something like that (with an extra line for personal notes which in Freda could be filled by, i.e. page and name of the chapter containing the quote), if it can help you have a reference. What I am aiming at, is to provide this ill person a series of snippets / excerpts / quotes that she will recognize then by tapping or clicking on them she'll be brought to the part of the book where it is, where it'll be highlighted. On landscape mode, it could be nice to have a side panel with those excerpts, so n user could simply scroll through them and a tap or click would open in the main window the right part of the book. Could also be found useful for studying or for professionals (techies, lawyers) needing to excerpt books their own way. thanks.
(11-20-2020, 07:36 AM)jim_chapman Wrote:

Thanks

@jim_chapman - I had a few more days to get acquainted with Freda. I think that the implementation may be easier than it seemed at first.

I am using it from a laptop so maybe this needs a tweak on touchscreens. Basically, I discovered that I can highlight what I want to quote, then by left or right clicking on the selection, I get the highlight / bookmark / note hover window. When I select note, the selection is marked as bookmark and I can add my own note in the textbox. If this textbox was pre-filled with the selected text, and itself selected, then as an user I could just save the note and I'll have a bookmark and the needed text in the note. If I wanted to delete it all, selecting the textbox and pressing delete would clear the textbox. If I wanted to edit or amend it, clicking in the textfield so as to de-select the text within would allow me as an user to do the edits I need (I hope it makes sense). The list is already implemented in the bookmarks list.
I am not super happy with how to either delete the whole text in the note textbox or edit it, as I think a careless click might make the whole text lost. maybe a button or keyboard shortcut or setting to fill or restore the text in?