Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hyphenation CSS
Hello,

I am sort of new to Freda but I've been working with e-books for a while. My native language is Dutch and often, hyphenation isn't the best as not every reader/software supports Dutch. Now, I usually turn off hyphenation alltogether so the readers won't have to deal with wrong hyphenation. 

I include the following code in the CSS:

-epub-hyphens: none;
  -webkit-hyphens: none;
  -ms-hyphens: none;
  hyphens: none;
  adobe-hyphenate: none;

This turns off hyphenation in about everything except Freda. 

What code do I need to turn it off in the Freda reader?

Thank you in advance!
(08-06-2022, 09:52 AM)SofieD Wrote: Hello,

I am sort of new to Freda but I've been working with e-books for a while. My native language is Dutch and often, hyphenation isn't the best as not every reader/software supports Dutch. Now, I usually turn off hyphenation alltogether so the readers won't have to deal with wrong hyphenation. 

I include the following code in the CSS:

-epub-hyphens: none;
  -webkit-hyphens: none;
  -ms-hyphens: none;
  hyphens: none;
  adobe-hyphenate: none;

This turns off hyphenation in about everything except Freda. 

What code do I need to turn it off in the Freda reader?

Thank you in advance!
Unfortunately, right now Freda doesn't understand the 'hyphens' keywords in CSS; it's an enhancement that I may be able to add to the program in the future.  One enhancement that I do intend to add in the next Freda release is an improved hyphenation algorithm, so at least the hyphenation will be done better (it's very poor at the moment, I know).

For your own personal use of Freda, you can instruct the program not to hyphenate using the settings screen (by setting 'hyphenation' = 'no').
(08-06-2022, 10:07 AM)jim_chapman Wrote: Unfortunately, right now Freda doesn't understand the 'hyphens' keywords in CSS; it's an enhancement that I may be able to add to the program in the future.  One enhancement that I do intend to add in the next Freda release is an improved hyphenation algorithm, so at least the hyphenation will be done better (it's very poor at the moment, I know).

For your own personal use of Freda, you can instruct the program not to hyphenate using the settings screen (by setting 'hyphenation' = 'no').
Thank you for this response! I have indeed used the settings not to hyphenate, but that of course only enhances my own reading experience and not that of other people reading the e-book. I'll just tell them to use this setting for now.