Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mass download from onedrive not downloading ebooks
Hi,

Im just moving from moon+ so i can have a good reader across my android and windows devices.

i am using onedrive to store the epub books i wish to read and sync across devices.

freda correctly goes through the authentication, let's me see and manually download books, but if i tick on all the books, then on download, whilst the network activity, as expected, is then consistent, none of the books are actually being downloaded, but they are all in the library.

im sure its something i as a newbie have missed, but how can i download the approx 1000 books enmass pls ?

Thanks,
nick
I just tried it myself on a couple of devices, and I found something strange.  One time, the download did not start properly.  I found that I could get to to start through, by manually kicking off the download of one book.  Do a long-tap (tap-and-hold) on one of the semi-transparent book items (books not yet downloaded) on your bookshelf, and a menu will pop up; from that menu pick the 'download' item.  Then, that book started downloading, and so did all the others.

It's definitely a bug and I will look at it, because the download should not need 'kick-starting' in this way.  But in the meantime you can try that work-around.

I've been exploring this issue some more - and it seems that mass download is unreliable if Freda has been running for a while already.  For better results, as a first step, force-quit Freda (use the system gesture to list running apps, and then flick/tap to close Freda).  Then start Freda again, and open up OneDrive, and begin your download.

I will continue to look into the problem.
(07-01-2019, 11:56 AM)jim_chapman Wrote: I just tried it myself on a couple of devices, and I found something strange.  One time, the download did not start properly.  I found that I could get to to start through, by manually kicking off the download of one book.  Do a long-tap (tap-and-hold) on one of the semi-transparent book items (books not yet downloaded) on your bookshelf, and a menu will pop up; from that menu pick the 'download' item.  Then, that book started downloading, and so did all the others.

It's definitely a bug and I will look at it, because the download should not need 'kick-starting' in this way.  But in the meantime you can try that work-around.

I've been exploring this issue some more - and it seems that mass download is unreliable if Freda has been running for a while already.  For better results, as a first step, force-quit Freda (use the system gesture to list running apps, and then flick/tap to close Freda).  Then start Freda again, and open up OneDrive, and begin your download.

I will continue to look into the problem.

Will do, thx
Is the syncing feature supposed to save reading position along with highlights and bookmarks? I've been using Freda for a few years on my PCs, but only found it for Android yesterday. I set up OneDrive on both ends and enabled web syncing (I have unlimited data and default to WiFi at home). I read for a couple of hours and made a few highlights.

Several hours later I opened that book, from OneDrive on both ends. The book on my PC is at the beginning with no highlights. How is this supposed to work? I did OPEN the book rather than downloading. All OneDrive files are already stored locally on my PC and synced with the OneDrive cloud. Should I have downloaded on both ends before opening?

I did open the book via the OneDrive app on my phone before discovering the sync feature, but I opened it again, with no contents saved from OneDrive within Freda. Could that have something to do with it?
(08-22-2019, 02:48 PM)ImaGeek Wrote: Is the syncing feature supposed to save reading position along with highlights and bookmarks? I've been using Freda for a few years on my PCs, but only found it for Android yesterday. I set up OneDrive on both ends and enabled web syncing (I have unlimited data and default to WiFi at home). I read for a couple of hours and made a few highlights.

Several hours later I opened that book, from OneDrive on both ends. The book on my PC is at the beginning with no highlights. How is this supposed to work? I did OPEN the book rather than downloading. All OneDrive files are already stored locally on my PC and synced with the OneDrive cloud. Should I have downloaded on both ends before opening?

I did open the book via the OneDrive app on my phone before discovering the sync feature, but I opened it again, with no contents saved from OneDrive within Freda. Could that have something to do with it?

The automatic sync only synchronises your reading position - and it should work, just as long as the book has the same title and author name on both devices.

You can manually sync bookmarks and highlights (and indeed your whole collection of book files) using the 'merge/save/load' feature on the main 'hamburger' menu.  You can learn more about the two types of synchronisation by reading the forum thread at http://www.turnipsoft.com/forums/showthr...p?tid=1701

I hope that helps.