Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
help installing freda
hi to everyone!
i'm trying to install freda on my device, a casio cassiopeia e-125 running windows ce 3.0, mips processor.
i've downloaded FredaCab_2_0_104_WinCE.CAB (1.755.270 bytes) and installation went fine without errors.
but freda doesn't works: when i launch it the result is:
"freda.exe: cannot find 'Freda' (or one of its components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and all the
required libraries are available."
anyone can help me? thanks, spinox.
(05-08-2019, 03:25 PM)spinox Wrote: hi to everyone!
i'm trying to install freda on my device, a casio cassiopeia e-125 running windows ce 3.0, mips processor.
i've downloaded FredaCab_2_0_104_WinCE.CAB (1.755.270 bytes) and installation went fine without errors.
but freda doesn't works: when i launch it the result is:
"freda.exe: cannot find 'Freda' (or one of its components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and all the
required libraries are available."
anyone can help me? thanks, spinox.

Hi,

Gosh!  I did not know anyone was still using WinCE devices out there.  That whole setup is very unsupported these days, so I am not sure how much help I will be able to give.

I think the problem could be that Freda needs a certain version of the Microsoft '.Net Compact Framework' component, and you do not have that version installed.  As far as I recall, Freda on WinCE needs .Net Compact Framework version 3.5.

You can find it here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download...aspx?id=65

So if you just download that, and install it on your device, maybe Freda will start working.  One word of warning: possibly your device has a _newer_ version of the .Net Compact Framework installed already (for instance, version 4.0).  In that case, it would be a bad idea to replace it with version 3.5 - that would be a downgrade, and it could break other programs you're using on the device.  The installer will detect this case, and warn you if already have a newer (higher) version of .NetCF installed - and if you get that warning, you should not go ahead (you'll probably just have to give up any hope of running Freda on the device, if you get that warning).

I hope that is of some use to you - and I am sorry that I can't be more helpful.
well it seems my device only support .net compact framework 1.0sp3, (i tried with 3.5 you told me and even 2.0)
so freda will not work, now it tells me it needs a more recent versione of .net cf...
i know i'm using a very oooold setup but it works great for me with my huge library of txt and prc ebooks, and i was searching a solution for reading epub format without using calibre.
thanks anyway for the great and quick support! regards, spinox.