Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Change Dictionary
(08-18-2018, 10:34 AM)jim_chapman Wrote:
(08-16-2018, 03:43 PM)jakkaas Wrote: I want to add a particular dictionary for the search function in freda. But I don't know how to add the path.

The dictionary i want to add has the following path
C:\Program Files (x86)\COED11\coed11.exe

I am not good with coding, so can you tell me what to add in define text in the dictionary?

Thank you
Hi,

This might not be possible, I am afraid.  Freda can use other programs on your PC as dictionaries, but only if that other program has "registered a custom URI scheme".  I realise that this is probably gobbledegook as far as you are concerned, but this is the question that you have to ask the person who developed your dictionary program: Does your program register a custom URI scheme?

Freda assumes that it can launch your chosen dictionary using the scheme 'define:', which means that by launching a web-request for 'define:text=elephant' it will make your PC start its dictionary app and find the definition of the word 'elephant'.

If your chosen dictionary app supports this scheme, everything will just work.  If it uses some other URI scheme, you can specify that by tapping the '...' button on the Freda dictionary screen, and typing in the scheme (putting {0} in the place where the search word is going to appear).  If your dictionary app does not support any URI scheme, then Freda cannot work with it.

It would be convenient if it was possible for Freda to launch other apps by file-path instead.  But this is not possible, because Freda is a Windows Store app, and that type of app is prevented (by Microsoft) from launching other apps using file-paths.  This is actually a reasonable thing to do, because giving apps the ability to launch other apps using file-paths is a massive security risk, and the whole point of the Windows Store is to protect people from the security risks inherent in downloading and running apps.

Please post again, or email, if you have further questions.
Thank you for your time and reply. I don't understand nor find it useful to dig in to url scheme. I understand UWP can access other apps and that's ok. I will right now stick to perfect dictionary and use it.

Thanks again

(08-19-2018, 02:50 PM)jakkaas Wrote:
(08-18-2018, 10:34 AM)jim_chapman Wrote:
(08-16-2018, 03:43 PM)jakkaas Wrote: I want to add a particular dictionary for the search function in freda. But I don't know how to add the path.

The dictionary i want to add has the following path
C:\Program Files (x86)\COED11\coed11.exe

I am not good with coding, so can you tell me what to add in define text in the dictionary?

Thank you
Hi,

This might not be possible, I am afraid.  Freda can use other programs on your PC as dictionaries, but only if that other program has "registered a custom URI scheme".  I realise that this is probably gobbledegook as far as you are concerned, but this is the question that you have to ask the person who developed your dictionary program: Does your program register a custom URI scheme?

Freda assumes that it can launch your chosen dictionary using the scheme 'define:', which means that by launching a web-request for 'define:text=elephant' it will make your PC start its dictionary app and find the definition of the word 'elephant'.

If your chosen dictionary app supports this scheme, everything will just work.  If it uses some other URI scheme, you can specify that by tapping the '...' button on the Freda dictionary screen, and typing in the scheme (putting {0} in the place where the search word is going to appear).  If your dictionary app does not support any URI scheme, then Freda cannot work with it.

It would be convenient if it was possible for Freda to launch other apps by file-path instead.  But this is not possible, because Freda is a Windows Store app, and that type of app is prevented (by Microsoft) from launching other apps using file-paths.  This is actually a reasonable thing to do, because giving apps the ability to launch other apps using file-paths is a massive security risk, and the whole point of the Windows Store is to protect people from the security risks inherent in downloading and running apps.

Please post again, or email, if you have further questions.
Thank you for your time and reply. I don't understand nor find it useful to dig in to url scheme. I understand UWP can access other apps and that's ok. I will right now stick to perfect dictionary and use it.

Thanks again

I would if you could add other dictionary from Windows app because I don't find perfect dictionary too useful and appealing. It would be great for a non native EnfEngl speaker like me. Thank yoy

Messages In This Thread
Change Dictionary - by jakkaas - 08-16-2018, 03:43 PM
RE: Change Dictionary - by jim_chapman - 08-18-2018, 10:34 AM
RE: Change Dictionary - by jakkaas - 08-19-2018, 02:50 PM