Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FAQ
Here is a list of Frequently Asked Questions about Freda.  If you have any other questions that you'd like to see answered here, please post in this topic and - unless I think your question is a bad idea for some reason - I will add it into this post.
Q: What is Freda?
A: Freda is a free program for reading electronic books (ebooks) on Windows PC, Tablet and Mobile, and on Android.
Features:
* Reads ePub (DRM-free), FB2, MOBI, HTML and TXT format books
* Offers customisable controls, fonts and colours
* Provides highlighting, bookmarks and annotations
* Integrates with on-line catalogs - Feedbooks, Smashwords, Gutenberg ...
* Connects to your Microsoft OneDrive for downloading book files
* Connects to your DropBox account for downloading book files
* Links to your Calibre book library
* Can open books from websites and email attachments
* Synchronises your reading experience across all the devices you are using (premium feature)
* Offers the OpenDyslexic font and a range of dyslexic-friendly settings, for use by readers who are affected by dyslexia
You can download Freda from the Windows Store and Google Play.

Q: I've just downloaded Freda and I don't know where to start
A: Take a look at this basic introduction video.  And please feel free to post questions on this forum, or email for support (you can do this from the 'support' option on the main application menu).

Q: Is there a manual
A: Yes.  Here.

Q: Can Freda be used to read DRM-protected EPUB books?
A: Sadly, no.  You may be able to use the Kobo Reader or the Adobe Digital Editions reader to do this, depending on what platform (Phone, PC, Tablet, HoloLens ...) you are using.

Q: Can you give me any advice about how to remove DRM protection from EPUB books?
A: No.  And please don't ask in the forums; it's a quick way to get yourself banned.  A search on Google (or Bing, if you are that way inclined) might offer you some hints, but please don't discuss the subject here, and do bear in mind that, depending where you live, it may be illegal to remove DRM protection from digital media.
*Update* I now see that there is a "What's new" in the app itself. It might still be handy to have it available elsewhere. I see that there are change logs for earlier versions on this forum.

Where are the change logs for the latest releases? I have just updated the Microsoft Store version but I cannot see a change log for it.
Thanks.
(10-08-2021, 01:32 PM)richardm Wrote: *Update* I now see that there is a "What's new" in the app itself. It might still be handy to have it available elsewhere. I see that there are change logs for earlier versions on this forum.

Where are the change logs for the latest releases? I have just updated the Microsoft Store version but I cannot see a change log for it.
Thanks.

I normally put change logs here http://www.turnipsoft.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=5 and here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showth...p?t=103358
I have a question, whenever I download a new epub file, it automatically opens Freda, sometimes this is inconvenient for me. Is there a setting that I can press to disable auto-open of Freda? Thank you.
(01-14-2022, 06:22 AM)MattyBoySwag Wrote: I have a question, whenever I download a new epub file, it automatically opens Freda, sometimes this is inconvenient for me. Is there a setting that I can press to disable auto-open of Freda? Thank you.

Two things to try: in Windows Explorer, right-click on an EPUB file, choose 'Open with ...' from the menu, and pick an app other than Freda (or no app at all).
Or alternatively, in your web browser, find the setting controlling download behaviour, and adjust it accordingly (in Chrome, you do it by by clicking on the upward-pointing chevron next to the download file name in the bar of the bottom of the page, and on the menu that pops up, ensuring that the 'always open files of this type' item does not have a check mark next to it).