Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HOW TO: Customise Freda (settings, controls and presets)
Freda's appearance and behaviour can be customised in many ways.  You can access:
Settings: To change the colour and layout of text on the page, and also to change the colour scheme and background image on the main Freda screen.

Controls: To assign custom gestures (such as the effect of tapping the various corners of the page).

Presets: To apply a 'preset', which is to say a named group of settings, all applied in one go.  You can add, delete and change presets, to suit  your personal tastes.

For details of how to do all these things, refer to this demo video.
Ok first freda looks pretty good but I am unsure about some things. Most of the android readers will accept using a different folder to store books or to read what books are saved in which folder and not move or make copies. When I started using freda and showed it where my books are stored, it downloaded (?) the books to freda. So now are the books copied again to a different folder of freda's making or are they still only in the original folder with the books info now in freda? Next if freda makes a new folder how can I move multiple books from the main one folder and in different sub folders to be downloaded. As I could not find the information I did not buy the freda + . I have been using Aldiko Premium for android and was satisfied with it but now I have tablet with windows 10. The last question I tried to download calibra but it seems to be only for win 8.
(08-04-2018, 07:48 PM)Fury Hunter Wrote: Ok first freda looks pretty good but I am unsure about some things. Most of the android readers will accept using a different folder to store books or to read what books are saved in which folder and not move or make copies. When I started using freda and showed it where my books are stored, it downloaded (?) the books to freda. So now are the books copied again to a different folder of freda's making or are they still only in the original folder with the books info now in freda? Next if freda makes a new folder how can I move multiple books from the main one folder and in different sub folders to be downloaded. As I could not find the information I did not buy the freda + . I have been using Aldiko Premium for android and was satisfied with it but now I have tablet with windows 10. The last question I tried to download calibra but it seems to be only for win 8.

Hi,

Freda always makes a local copy of book files, for its own reference.  That's because Freda does not generally have permission to read your machine's file system (it only has access to a special 'Freda only' sub-folder).  When you open a folder on your device to import a book file into Freda, Freda is given permission to temporarily access that folder to fetch the book - but the system will revoke that permission afterwards, which means that, unless Freda makes a copy of the book, Freda won't be able to read the book afterwards.  Since book files are small (often less than 1MB and almost always less that 50MB) this seems the best solution.

If you don't want Freda to keep a book any more, you can delete it (on the bookshelf screen, tap/hold on the book item and choose 'delete').

The calibre book-management system (https://calibre-ebook.com/) is an application that works on Windows 8, but it also works fine on Windows 10.
Hi Jim, it seems I have another or continuing problem. I installed both Freda and calibre and tried to get them to connect but the only way is through the test server button. That seems to be a bit complicated to do each time I want to add a new book. Also I tried to get my tablet to connect and it does not connect. The only way I can connect to it is through the house network and file sharing and that is also a bit complicated. Can you help me? I am so use to using Aldiko android  which was very easy to setup and use but now I have a windows tablet and that requires different apps and different connections.
(08-09-2018, 06:35 PM)Fury Hunter Wrote: Hi Jim, it seems I have another or continuing problem. I installed both Freda and calibre and tried to get them to connect but the only way is through the test server button. That seems to be a bit complicated to do each time I want to add a new book. Also I tried to get my tablet to connect and it does not connect. The only way I can connect to it is through the house network and file sharing and that is also a bit complicated. Can you help me? I am so use to using Aldiko android  which was very easy to setup and use but now I have a windows tablet and that requires different apps and different connections.

Hi, It should not be so complicated, so something is definitely going wrong.  Can you go through the instructions on this site at http://www.turnipsoft.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=7 and let me know which step does not work. Thanks.