Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One-step dictionary lookups?
In Freda for Windows, is there an official way to get a long press on a word immediately pop up a definition/translation?

Thanks,
Steve
(01-10-2019, 05:32 PM)Hamilton Burger Wrote: In Freda for Windows, is there an official way to get a long press on a word immediately pop up a definition/translation?

Thanks,
Steve

This post(and the YouTube link in it) offer some hints about how you can customise Freda's behaviour so that it always takes some specific action when text is selected.  I've recently done some  additional work on this functionality in Freda and when the next release comes up (in a few days I would hope) Freda will be able to do exactly what you need.  For instance, if, in the top control ribbon on the reading page you set 'action on selected text' = find, and then set the 'search mode' to translate, you'll then have Freda set up so that whenever you long-tap a word, the translation window will pop up.
(01-11-2019, 01:37 PM)jim_chapman Wrote:
(01-10-2019, 05:32 PM)Hamilton Burger Wrote: In Freda for Windows, is there an official way to get a long press on a word immediately pop up a definition/translation?

Thanks,
Steve

This post(and the YouTube link in it) offer some hints about how you can customise Freda's behaviour so that it always takes some specific action when text is selected.  I've recently done some  additional work on this functionality in Freda and when the next release comes up (in a few days I would hope) Freda will be able to do exactly what you need.  For instance, if, in the top control ribbon on the reading page you set 'action on selected text' = find, and then set the 'search mode' to translate, you'll then have Freda set up so that whenever you long-tap a word, the translation window will pop up.

Jim, that's marvelous, thank you. It may not be my place having just joined the forum but I'd be happy to provide more detail on what I think works best for touchscreen pop-up definitions/translations, and to help you test the feature.
(01-11-2019, 03:23 PM)Hamilton Burger Wrote: Jim, that's marvelous, thank you. It may not be my place having just joined the forum but I'd be happy to provide more detail on what I think works best for touchscreen pop-up definitions/translations, and to help you test the feature.

That would be great - I'm always happy to receive feedback, and there's no need to be shy just because you're a recent arrival!